Are you familiar with comedian, Jeff Foxworthy? He became popular with his insightful ‘You Might be a Redneck’ stand-up routine. His routine is about pointing out examples of what might make you a redneck. For instance, ‘if you have more appliances in your front yard than in your house, you might be a redneck!”
It’s a funny routine … even if you’re a redneck!
If you’ve been following my blogs, you’ll know that I’m a staunch advocate of feeling good about ourselves. I think it’s the most important thing on a day to day basis for our health and happiness! What I’d like to do then, is adapt Foxworthy’s routine to this topic to illustrate what things might look like if we all felt good about ourselves. For example, ‘If you allow the car to merge in front of you without getting angry, even though the driver is clearly attempting to butt in, you might just feel good about yourself!’
It is my hope that looking at feeling good about ourselves in this manner might inspire us to make it a priority in our lives. So here goes:
- If you are the CEO of a company and you tell the Board of Directors to ‘get stuffed’ when they direct you to eliminate a thousand jobs in order to pad the company’s bottom line, you might just feel good about yourself!
- If you are a teenager who refuses to cave in to peer pressure and take up smoking, because you know it’s bad for your health, you might feel good about yourself!
- If you leave a high paying job for one that is more fulfilling, but pays a lot less money. you just might feel good about yourself!
- If, in general, you can get through the day without acting like a dumb ass, you just might feel good about yourself!
- If you make it through life without experiencing a major health crisis (like Parkinson’s), a major financial crisis, constant conflict with other people, a lot of self sabotage and you love your career, you just might feel good about yourself!
- If you don’t curse life, criticize others, bad mouth your neighbours or gossip about Alice down at the church, you just might feel good about yourself!
- If you live in a world free of corruption, betrayal, persecution, discrimination, poverty, homelessness and starvation, you just might feel good about yourself, because evidently, everyone else does!
- If you treat everyone with unconditional kindness, pat yourself on the back, because you just might feel good about yourself!
I could go on (I found a website that listed 300 examples of why you might be a redneck), but I’m sure you get the point. How we feel about ourselves affects pretty much everything that goes on on the planet, including our health. So if you want to overcome a health crisis or prevent one from happening in the first place, do everything you can to feel good about yourself, starting with being kind!
Because then you just might have an awesome day!