In my last two posts I talked about the life experiences that I believe, very strongly, led to me developing Parkinson’s. Some of them were more stress related (like corporate life), while others were quite traumatic on an emotional level (like the death of my friend). These experiences, as i have come to learn, resulted in emotional pain, like anger, that was not resolved at the time.
I have spent the better part of my adult life living with anger. It has at times consumed me. Like a witches spell, it has controlled me. I was unconscious of the power it held over me and the role it played in my self destructive behaviour … drinking heavily, eating poorly, working and exercising excessively and behaving like a fool. Clearly, it has also played a role in the health conditions (including Parkinson’s) I have developed.
But it has also led me on an amazing journey of awareness and understanding, and one of the most important things I have learned is that in order to heal any condition, be it physical, mental or emotional, we must heal the unresolved emotional pain at the root of the experience! The road to healing has four components:
- Providing proper nutrition (healthy food, pure water and air … you will never get healthy eating McDonald’s)
- Healing structural damage (chiropractic, massage therapy, reiki, Body Stress Relief, etc)
- Reducing stress (meditation, change jobs, live in the present moment)
- Heal unresolved emotional pain
We have all had unpleasant experiences … somebody did something inappropriate to us, we did something inappropriate, we experienced loss, we witnessed tragedy … we judged the experience (because that’s what we were taught to do), we felt emotional pain (very natural) and we held on to this pain (because we were never taught how to constructively express our feelings, and quite often, we were actually punished for doing it … “You cry and I’ll give you something to cry about!”). With each unresolved experience, we accumulated more bitterness, hatred, guilt, shame, grief … and anger! This created stress which (especially when combined with a poor diet, day-to-day chronic stress and trauma to the body) messed up our body chemistry, destroyed our gut health, clogged up our lymphatic system and weakened our immune system, eventually leading to a disease (like Parkinson’s).
How then do we resolve this emotional pain? One option is to seek out a qualified therapist. Someone you feel comfortable speaking to and who can properly guide you through the healing process. Another way is to learn Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).
Another way is to understand some essential principles of life:
- Everyone, including you, is doing the best they can with what they’ve learned. If a person grows up experiencing violence and hatred, this is what they’re going to give back to the world.
- People behave inappropriately because they don’t feel good about themselves. They feel unlovable, unworthy, inadequate and powerless.
- People behave inappropriately because they are unconscious. They are unaware of the truths of our existence.
- All experience, good and bad, appropriate and inappropriate, is part of the flow of life, and what is important, is not what happens, but rather, how we react to it.
Eckhart Tolle refers to this unresolved emotional pain as the pain body. It is energy, and like any energy, it wants to grow. By understanding the four essentials listed above and living in the present moment, we can dissolve the pain body and let go of the unresolved emotional pain through forgiveness, and forgiveness is liberation from suffering!
To expedite the process, I also use a healing mantra/prayer. I intuited this prayer many years ago after learning One Brain Therapy. The purpose of OBT is to heal and release unresolved emotional pain connected to specific experiences. The prayer goes like this:
Thank you God I Am
for neutralizing the energetic frequency,
healing and releasing,
all unresolved emotional energy, all fear and all faulty beliefs connected to …
why I am experiencing Parkinson’s.
And I thank you for this healing
and I thank you for increasing the effectiveness of this healing by 100 times or more.
Releasing emotional pain is necessary to clear the way for the body to heal. Congratulations to you for having the courage to do it!
Have an awesomely forgiving day!