I recently became aware of a naturopathic doctor in Florida, Dr Robert Morse ND, who has a different way of looking at disease. In fact, he doesn’t even think of it in terms of disease. He looks at it very simply, from the perspective of body chemistry.
Here’s the lowdown according to Dr. Morse:
- The body is made up of four things … cells, two fluids and bacteria
- The two fluids [which make up 75% of the body] are … blood (which feeds the cells) and lymph (which cleans the cells … lymph makes up 75% of the fluids)
- The bacteria are mostly in our gastrointestinal (GI) tract and their job is to break down the foods we eat
- There are two sides to body chemistry, acid and base (alkalinity), as measured by the pH scale which runs from 0 to 14 (water has a neutral pH of 7.0)
- The body becomes sick when it is in an acid state (when the pH is less than 7.0) and when the lymph system becomes clogged (when it is no longer able to clean the cells)
- The body becomes sick when the cells become inflamed (because the lymph is no longer cleaning them).
- The body also becomes sick when we develop leaky gut (when the bacteria in our GI tract and the mucousal lining of our GI tract are destroyed). Note: 80% of our immune system (Immunoglobulin A) is found in the mucousal lining of the GI tract.
So, what is it that causes the body to become acidic, the lymph system to become clogged up and the gut to become leaky? The answer is simple:
- A poor diet (especially, dairy, processed foods, excessive protein and junk food)
- Chronic stress (worry, anger, watching/reading the news, watching violent movies, etc)
- Unresolved emotional pain (causes stress)
- Trauma to the body
- Lack of exercise
- Lack of rest
This video by Dr. Morse describes very simply how the body works and how it becomes sick. I urge you to watch it!
Dr. Morse’s explanation of body chemistry makes perfect sense to me (I studied physiology, biology and biochemistry in school … and thankfully I paid attention) and it has given me new hope and a modified approach to healing Parkinson’s. In fact, I no longer think of it as healing the gut and healing Parkinson’s. I look at it from the perspective of correcting my body chemistry. I’m no longer focused on restoring the dopamine levels in my brain. Rather, I’m focused on alkalining my body, unclogging my lymph system and healing my gut, so that I’m not absorbing toxic foods through my intestinal wall, and so that my body cells can excrete the toxic wastes that are produced during normal cell metabolism. In other words, create an environment that allows the body to heal itself.
Morse recommends a raw fruit diet as the best way to detox and alkaline, however, my diet during this detoxification process is essentially vegan. That is, fruits and vegetables, as well as, quinoa, buckwheat, coconut oil and nuts and seeds. As Morse explains, we don’t need to eat protein (meat). Our bodies don’t metabolize protein, they make protein out of amino acids, which can be found in fruits and veggies.
My daily diet looks like this:
- Glass of fresh lemon water with apple cider vinegar (lemons might be the best detoxifier and alkaliner on the planet)
- Melon … whole or blended (melons, especially watermelon are great detoxifiers and are best eaten on their own)
- Fruit smoothie or cocktail … 1 or 2 bananas, 1 apple or pear, cup of grapes, handful of goji berries and sprinkle of cinnamon (cinnamon helps stabilize blood sugar)
- Veggie dinner … broccoli, celery, tomato, asparagus, carrots, spinach, avocado and sauerkraut in various combinations
- Bowl of quinoa or buckwheat with honey and walnuts and sunflower seeds
- Fruit cocktail or veggie smoothie (see ingredients above) or bowl of quinoa/buckwheat and honey
- 2 – 4 spoonfuls of coconut oil over the course of the day
- 2 – 3 more glasses of fresh lemon water between meals
I have believed all along that I could overcome Parkinson’s (because I believe the body, given the right tools, has the ability to heal itself) and now I am more confident than ever! I changed my diet two years ago and got really serious about it last year. But clearly I wasn’t doing enough to alkaline my body, nor did I understand the need to detoxify my lymph system. With this new understanding it’s onward and upward!
Have an awesomely smooth day!