I recently started reading Conversations with God for Teens, by Neale Donald Walsch. While reading the book, I thought about the questions I would want to ask God if I was having a conversation with him or her and the first question that came to mind was, ‘why are so many people struggling to get ahead in this world?’
I had no sooner formulated the question when an answer popped into my head, ‘it’s because of what they believe.’
Wow! That was a quick response. Thank you God!
The answer was simple, yet profound.
I am well aware that our beliefs play a significant role in creating our reality, but what came to me in that moment is that when we are not manifesting something we want or when we are continuing to experience something we don’t want, it is likely because of what we believe.
Our beliefs are largely shaped by our childhood experiences. If we grow up feeling unloved, unwanted, unaccepted and unappreciated, we will likely also grow up believing that we are unlovable, unworthy, inadequate and powerless. We will have low self esteem, these faulty beliefs (this poor self image) can have a powerful affect on our lives. If we grow up feeling unworthy for instance, we will have difficulty manifesting the things we want because we believe we don’t deserve them.
I think it’s why so many successful celebrities self-destruct. Even though they have achieved success, a part of them doesn’t believe they deserve it.
Now it’s also possible that what we are trying to manifest is not meant to be (most of us simply aren’t meant to be the next American/Canadian Idol) or that it’s not meant to happen right now. But in this instance, it made a lot of sense to me that people as a whole are struggling largely because of what they believe.
It is also possible that our struggles are meant to serve a higher spiritual purpose that may not be readily evident. When you think of children starving in Africa who simply want food, or people living under oppressive regimes who simply want freedom, their situation likely doesn’t have much to do with what they believe…although, one could argue that it could be the result of a collective faulty belief, something Nelson Mandela described as a psychological inferiority.
The beliefs I’m referring to are connected to emotional pain from heartbreaking experiences that are quite often hidden in our subconscious mind. Only about 10 percent of our memories are held in our conscious mind. The remaining 90 percent are unconscious memories, and that is why you will hear people say, ‘I believe I deserve such and such,’ even though they are not manifesting such and such. Consciously, they might believe they deserve it, but there is a much more powerful unconscious belief at work that is blocking it from being manifested.
One way to discover if your beliefs are holding you back is to examine your feelings. If you are feeling philosophical about it, perhaps it’s because it wasn’t meant to happen. On the other hand, if you are feeling anger, frustration, bitterness, sadness or any other negative emotion, and you believe what you want to manifest is realistic…for instance, you are not trying to manifest a billion dollars or a date with Lady Gaga…it is highly likely that you have a faulty belief working against you.
In order to change the experience to manifest what we want, we need to heal the wounds that are at the root of the faulty beliefs. This doesn’t necessarily mean that we need to uncover the specific experience or experiences that created it. Healing can be accomplished without this knowledge. But we do need to let go of the emotional pain.
There are many different healing modalities and you need to find one that resonates with you. Prayer, meditation, visualization, meridian tapping, screaming and punching pillows and hands-on body work are just some of the techniques people use to release emotional pain.
Our beliefs create our reality. When we are free of emotional pain, we hold positive beliefs and we create a peaceful, joyful, loving reality!
Now, what’s my next question?