We’ve all had things happen to us that have caused us pain and we’ve done things to others that have caused them pain. When we do not resolve these experiences in the moment, we hold on to this pain and it becomes an enormous burden that affects our present living. We spend too much time in anger, bitterness and resentment, affecting our relationships, our finances and our health.
In order to free ourselves of this burden, we need to come to terms with what took place and let it go. We need to:
- Accept that we are not perfect. Nor are we meant to be. Nor is anyone else.
- Understand that our experiences are meant to be lessons. (If we don’t learn the lesson the first time, it will come back on us.)
- Learn to forgive yourself and others.
- Allow yourself to express (in those moments when you feel anger & rage, stick your face in a pillow or go for a drive and scream and scream and scream until the anger is gone and you feel better).
- Resolve to do our best in the future.
It also helps, I believe, to know that everything happens for a reason and your life is unfolding as it is meant to.
As Tom Selleck said in the hit television show, Blue Bloods, “it’s not what you did that matters most right now, it’s what you do next,” so be kind and compassionate, especially to yourself, and do your best to live in the present moment.
Have an awesomely carefree day!